With the implementation of Google Analytics on my first internship client’s site – Bedtime Bedrooms, I was and still am amazed at the results. The site launched the middle of January 2010 and after a week of watching the results come in, I couldn’t believe the site’s traffic.
As I had previous discussed when I began this project, Bill was skeptical at first about the whole internet but knew that he needed a new look for his site. I reassured him that the site will be great and will meet all the goals we had set for it. As the site drew near completion I told him that I was going to implement the Google Analytics to his site when it was going to launch. I set up the Google account for him and provided him and his site maintainer the access. Within the first day of implementation, Bedtime’s site had 17 visitors. Now as of today its had 658 from all over the place, not just locally, even though his just focuses on the targeting Washington County and surrounding areas.
The statistics one can get from the Google Analytics is mind blowing – from browsers, operating systems, internet connection and carriers, keyword searches, to mobile devices, and the list goes on. It is all at your finger tips, which is great especially for me. I design on a Mac and need to know what the average site visitor is using to in order to make sure the site works ideally for the targeted audience. I have to use simulators to test but at least I can narrow down the ones I need to focus on. In a perfect world, the site would work on all browsers, all operating systems, all platforms, etc. but that just isn’t going to happen quite yet.
Below you can see for yourself the types of results you can see from the analytics. The first image is just the overview of the site and the other is from the site visitors.
After the whole discussion with a local internet hosting business about gathering the site’s statistics to help develop for the targeted audiences and getting the response, “You should be designing it for it work on everything,” it is great I don’t need to rely on the hosting companies. After my inquiries, that company is now gathering those statistics. I don’t know how in-depth they are, but at least they are now making it available to their customers.
I had just touched based with him today and asked if he has accessed the results lately. Amazingly he said they check it regularly. I feel that Bill has now seen the impact that the web site has. My next “to-do” with the Bedtime site is to do a feedback survey. Since he is getting a great response from his email on the site, I want to have him send those visitors a survey asking how their web experience was. Bill is totally onboard with that and is even considering hiring me again in late spring to possibly start a social network aspect to the site. He has an employee that would be perfect for keeping it maintained. I’m excited to see him warming up to the whole internet idea.
With another client I’m currently working with – Laura’s Smile Foundation – inquired me about implementing the Analytics, I told them I am definitely going to utilize the tool. Since the site is in progress, I needed to set up a temporary page for them so there wasn’t just a generic placeholder page from the hosting company. I put the Analytics code on that temporary page and after about two weeks, they too have had a great response – 82 visitors as of yesterday. The temporary page has just the brief details about the upcoming annual event and the visitors can register for the event as well. They have been getting feedback from the features on that page too – poll, event registration and foundation updates. It’s a good thing I put up that temporary page until the whole site goes live which will be in less than two weeks! This event has grown faster than they originally anticipated, but it is a good thing and they’re excited.
With the success of the redesigned sites, eyes are being opened, communication is increasing, and the world is in the palm of their hands – so to speak.